I almost had the same personality
and behavior then and now. That is why I never had any difficulty in adjusting
myself when it comes to dealing with other people. I speak. And this is the
only thing that I am considering both as a skill and as an asset.
I’m a communication student. I get along with different people. I communicate. And as a practitioner of this field, a basic skill that I must obtain is above an average fluency in speaking and communicating my ideas. People usually have their impressions on me that I am an easy-to-get-along-with person. And they’re absolutely right. I often approach everyone whether it is through a simple “hi” or just a simple smile. I am outspoken and I knew it.
I’m a communication student. I get along with different people. I communicate. And as a practitioner of this field, a basic skill that I must obtain is above an average fluency in speaking and communicating my ideas. People usually have their impressions on me that I am an easy-to-get-along-with person. And they’re absolutely right. I often approach everyone whether it is through a simple “hi” or just a simple smile. I am outspoken and I knew it.
At this crucial point of being a collegian, the law of being an easy-go-lucky person isn’t just a sound idea. Most of the time, my fellow colleagues would ask me something- crushes, place of origin, major, hobbies- and I always need to get them good replies. Even at these smallest things as a UP student, good speaking habits really count, and I believe you wouldn’t regret speaking to yourself while in front of the mirror, for it will be worth it, trust me.
Speaking of speaking, it’s neither a subject nor a skill to learn about. It is either a necessity you are obliged to have or worse, a factor that might ruin your chances of winning a good position applied to. Believe it or not, most jobs prefer excellent speakers.
When I entered the Oblation Corps, things went differently. I then realize the fulfilment of being a student for my family, and as student for the country. This time it is not anymore about my speaking prowess.
| LPU students- aka - my students! <3 |
I had this encounter of juniors and seniors of the Lyceum of the Philippines University (LPU) way back in one of Pahinungod’s immersion programs. I was having a litany of instructions and discussions which were about “unleashing the hero in you” when one of them asked me about my age and my year level. I paused for a while, faced them with all honesty, and said, “I am turning 16 this August and I am just a newbie- a new freshman of the university.” Some were amazed. Some laughed. Most looked suspicious at me. I recovered through a smile and said, “Go tell your little kids in the house that while they’re still young, have good speaking habits- talk whatever they want to, talk whenever they want, but please, talk to everyone.” They added me into their circle of friends in facebook. Some followed my blog and some were contented having my number. That was fun.
I gained friends through this skill and why not? People always find friend who are talkative, but more than that, they are capable of making each day a worth-thanking one. We are all speakers. Sadly, not all of us have the guts to speak what we feel. Friend, I have to tell you, just like any other skill, speaking is something that needs pruning by study. But once you have it, pauses become faces, words become money. Friends and a good job- you can have them both just by having a good mouth and a junk of confidence.
No comments:
Post a Comment