When I first joined a press
conference, I was a news writer in English. Trying to impress my coach, it was
my choice for I knew that news writing is way better than writing feature and
sports articles, two of my previous categories way back in high school. To make
the story quick, I lost and failed to enter the regional level of the
competition. That was indeed my very first time to be in the news writing category.
I asked myself many times, is it really that hard to make a straight news story
that I almost run out of time composing a 2-3 paragraph-paper entry?
I couldn’t help it. In the
laboratory, things went just the same as that of a writing competition, but
this time, not by being a contest, but a simple exercise that truly took it
all- time, words, angles. Scanning the script from our interview to spot a
possible and interesting angle for a straight news story, in which may be
published in any of the community papers within the LB community, is some sort
of a hate-it-or-love-it story. It’s definitely hard to showcase the best angle
for a news story, but I must say, it’s pretty harder to find an interesting topic
in a very limited scope of an issue. Time may tell how I crafted those ideas,
only to find out that they were not suited anymore for a straight news article.
Principles of good and effective writing- hmmm, I am not sure if I had applied these stuffs but I’m pretty sure I consider them whenever I write or compose something. Rules of writing for better outputs and feedbacks- check. Catch and hook readers’ attention, involvement, and relevance- my news is about how a school copes up with K-12 which, perhaps, is a big issue for everybody, check. Proximity and impact- definitely check. Identifying angles for straight news story and organizing details for it- another story, indeed.
Activities from the lab are getting tougher and harder, there’s no more doubt about it. But I found it more challenging and interesting, though. As I went to the front and discuss with the class my proposed plan for my news is one of those activities that I really look forward to. It’s as if you are speaking on behalf of those clusters of words and making everybody see it more than just as a news story. Another stunning thing to relinquish was on how we came up into something interesting and timely news article that will cater our findings and self-obtained discoveries. It’ glad to realize that beyond the hardships in every activity is the promise of good and satisfying output. It’s really way beyond disappointment and disapproval from our instructor. To realize that we can actually do it ourselves in our own ways is more than just an exercise.
News writing is absolutely the most
difficult and challenging part for amateur writers, just like us. It is
everybody’s most anticipated part in any forms of publications. But beyond
those stories, are of real life adventure and discovery- priceless and
worth-remembering. That’s why every single statement is a product of
perseverance in making the entire story, uneditorialized and unfeatured- pure
reality in which the readers will become both critics and hopefully, prime
movers of change and actions.
No comments:
Post a Comment