Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Price of Truth


The Price of Truth
(Reflection Paper on DEVC11 Exer 1)
Kevin Carlo Abila, UV-4L

Writing is hard. Gathering the most recent data is harder. But interviewing the most reliable source is the hardest of them all.

It’s hard than what I really expected in a simple exercise. But in the end, I was satisfied and gratified enough to realize that it’s all worth it.

Gathering data requires a lot of effort and preparation. Most of us find it difficult to accomplish these things but there’s always been the assurance that we will really learn a lot as we explore the wonders of mass media.

For a communication student like us, everything went well in gathering data for several advantages- this is our work, and this is what we want to do in the first place. We are being honed in the combined aspects of media and communication for development step-by-step so as to fully develop these skills that are of major importance in our future works. I believe that as long as you are interested and willing to learn something, everything will go smooth. As long as you know how to use the limited time and pressure, you’ll end up a success story. Our activity is some sort of a simple exercise that will offer opportunity for us to be in the field, and as one of the basic foundations of our career. It’s hard though, but the feeling that you’re enjoying the fact that you are touching their lives while opening their eyes about the timely issues that concerns them, too, I couldn’t feel the sweat, the money, or how many people have we encountered anymore- the essence of hardships that are worth remembering.



I actually felt some struggles as what I believed that others have experienced, too, only to realize that this was just a simple or basic exercise in Devc11. There’s really more activities more challenging than this one! Precisely. What more if were actually sent into the major field where there’s no more preparation than what we do, no more companions, no more script, no more than enough time to plan? What fate awaits us in the future? I answered my own question. That’s why I am here preparing myself and should know my part from the beginning.


Information is everywhere, but then again, it is quite hard for us, as student journalists who have just started the journey, to deal with other people, most especially because not all are willing and emphatic enough to offer help by sharing what they stand before on a certain issue. There’s the consistent conflict of schedules, proximity of sources, availability of resources, and the different attitudes that we have and still be encountering, which will define our success.  No matter what, I am certain about the fact that these will be our passion for the rest of our lives- serve people, research, disseminate information, encounter different attitudes to bring change.

We cannot perfect every detail of our plan nor can we memorize everything in the script. We cannot change their views and disposition on things, but we can actually enlighten them to bring about change- something that encompasses the majority, especially the underserved populace that might probably benefit them and discover potentials in which, however, might take some effort and time before ending it up as a success story. And the best reason of all, these are our commitment and calling that we have answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment